Netball is one of our main sports. Although we strive for excellence both in performance and attitude, we cater for all students regardless of their level, and students enjoy taking part at the level that best suits their ability.
We concentrate on netball in the Lent term. Within the Lower School the focus is on enjoyment and on gaining and improving core skills. Sessions are staffed by well qualified coaches to allow every player to receive focused training and feedback during this fundamental part of their development.
In the Middle School there is still an underlying emphasis on performing the basic skills well, though players begin to develop a better understanding of the game by adopting a more technical viewpoint.
In the Sixth Form the emphasis shifts towards the acquisition of tactical knowledge and players are encouraged to become more independent in their decision making on court.
It is our aim to provide every student in Years 7 to 9 with the opportunity to represent the School in netball fixtures. The Lower School fields eight teams, in Year 9 we field six teams, Year 10 four teams, Year 11 two teams, and in the Sixth Form we field three senior teams.
Fixtures are played throughout the Lent term in a competitive and sporting spirit. Teams play a strong and well established fixture list.
The School enters the National Schools Netball Championship each year, as well as the Independent Schools’ Netball Knockout Competition. In addition we host the Perse 1st VII Pre-season Invitational Tournament, and enter the Uppingham U15 Invitational Tournament.
View netball fixtures and results.
Netball continues to go from strength to strength at The Perse. In 2016/17 the 1st VII were County runners-up and Regional finalists, while the U16 VII were County semi-finalists.
Notable achievements from the 2015/16 season include:
- 1st VII National Finalists
- 1st VII enjoyed an unbeaten regular season in their school fixtures
- 1st VII winners of The Perse Invitational Tournament
- U16s and U14s reached the semi-finals of the County Netball Tournament
- Our senior squads take part in mini tours where they visit schools across England and had the opportunity to tour South Africa in 2014 on a joint hockey and netball tour.
- The senior 1st and 2nd VII enjoy a pre-season tour in January where they play matches and have a training session with a Superleague player.
- Our U13 teams take part in a PGL netball weekend; the 2016/17 trip saw one Perse team come runners up in the tournament and the other win the Umpires’ Team of the Tournament award for their outstanding determination, respect and fair play.