Pre-test Service (Year 3 entry)
We offer a pre-test service for children looking at entry into Year 3 at the Prep. The purpose of the service is to enable parents to gain an idea of their child’s current level of achievement and potential, and to be advised as to whether an application to the Perse Prep would be appropriate for them at this stage.
Parents should be aware that this pre-test service is entirely optional and voluntary. The pre-test is not part of the official admissions procedure or a requirement prior to registration, merely a source of guidance and advice.
The pre-tests are administered by Mrs Julia Halbert, Director of Admissions, in the Michaelmas Term prior to the Year 3 Entrance Tests in January. A pre-test is a non-pressurised meeting, with each child being encouraged to show what they can do. Reassurance and assistance are readily available should they find any areas difficult. The pre-test takes between 30-45 minutes and consists of:
- Maths work, based on areas covered in the appropriate National Curriculum
- The reading aloud of a passage from a book of an appropriate level, with some questions on factual content and some that require thinking ‘beyond the text’
- The child writing some sentences
- Some puzzles that require logical thinking
- A conversation with the teacher administering the test
- Within a few days of the pre-test, the Head will get in touch by phone to give detailed feedback.
The fee for this service is £50 and a cheque payable to ‘The Perse School’ should be brought on the day of the assessment.
To register interest for a pre-test in the Michaelmas Term, please complete this link, which will be live from the preceding June. The Head’s Secretary will then be in touch to confirm a suitable date and time. Please note that there is a finite number of pre-tests that can be booked in the Michaelmas term.