Music news round-up
1 Mar 2016
It was a busy week for our musicians last week, with an event on nearly every day.
Tuesday saw the hotly-contested Perse Musician of the Year String final, and we congratulate the overall winner, Alex Harris, as well as Ben Norman, Jay Sardesai, Daniel Rix and Florence Harmer for winning their respective classes; and Jessie Zhang, Holly Woods, Ai Ling Woolston, Patrick Bevan and Yao-Chih Kuo for coming highly commended. The final took place hot on the heels of the guitar final at the end of the last half of term: Nick Clark, Sean Clubb and Henry Clark won their respective classes, while Thomas Blake, Hugo Fung and Josh Stimson all came highly commended. Well done to all. The next stage in our year-long competition will be the ‘wildcard’ round, for any pupils of Grade 8+ standard who would like to try again for a place in the grand final, or who have not already taken part.
Wednesday saw the renowned tenor Thomas Walker give an inspirational masterclass to our singing students, while Thursday’s concert at the Bateman auditorium in Gonville and Caius College, featuring some of our finest chamber groups, went down a treat. On Friday evening, Concert Voices (one of our three Year 7 to 9 choirs) performed as part of the Impington Music Society’s programme of events at Impington Village College from 7.30pm. The always-popular Charity Cabaret also took place on Saturday night.
Looking ahead, on Monday 14 March, our annual concert at West Road provides a showcase for our Upper Sixth musicians as they perform concertos with the school’s Senior Symphony Orchestra and Wind Band 1. The soloists this year are:
- Alexander Harris: Introduction and Rondo Cappriccioso, Op.28 – Saint Saens (Violin)
- Benjamin Rubinsztein: Oboe Concerto in D minor – Marcello
- Alexander Scott: Piano Concerto No.2, Movts. II & III – Shostakovich
- Marcus Tuchel: Concerto for Trumpet – James
- Renzhi Zhou: Piano Concerto No. 2 Movt. III – Rachmaninov
There will be also be a selection of orchestral, string, wind band and brass music in the concert.
Other upcoming dates for the diary (all free events) include:
- Monday 29 February – Informal Lunchtime Recital
- Thursday 3 March – Large Ensemble Concert
- Friday 4 March – Piano Recital and Masterclass by Chenyin Li
- Tuesday 8 March – Piano Concert
- Wednesday 9 March – Choral Concert