Music news round-up
8 Feb 2016
On Friday 29 January, Perse pupils and parents saw in the weekend with an evening of jazz, old and new. While the Big Band and Swing Band performed several standards including The Jazz Police, Fly Me to the Moon and Somewhere Over the Rainbow, three of the School’s jazz bands, consisting of Years 8-10 and Sixth Form pupils, performed their own arrangements of jazz numbers, and some world premieres of their own compositions too! Highlights included a new calypso-style composition from Thomas Morris (Year 9), a quirky 5/4 number by Harry Coates (Upper Sixth), and a toe-tapping rendition of Fever by Ed Brenton and Eloise Rea (both Upper Sixth). Congratulations to all involved in a relaxed event which belied the huge amount of work put in by the pupils over the past few weeks.
Last week also saw several performances and masterclasses take place: our double bass teacher and leader of jazz bands, Ms Daphna Neu, gave an electrifying performance with her jazz quintet on Wednesday before the group assisted our various jazz bands with their current work, while yesterday saw the return to the Perse of the renowned Doric String Quartet, preparing our string chamber groups for their first performances as part of the Pro Corda competition held from next Wednesday – we wish all participants the very best of luck. We were delighted to welcome composer Rachel Leach and Jonathan Lipton (horn) and Matthew Gibson (double bass) from the London Symphony Orchestra to the Music Department this week to work with pupils on the 400 anniversary music project. Together they are composing part of the commission to be performed alongside Senior Symphony Orchestra, Pelican and Prep pupils on Friday 18 March.
A brief reminder of upcoming events before the half-term break:
- Monday 8 February – recital by Chloe Beresford-Jones (Head of Singing) accompanied by Jill Morton (Head of Keyboard)
- Tuesday 9 February – Perse Musician of the Year guitar final
- Wednesday 10 February – Singers’ Concert
- Thursday 11 February – Chamber Music Concert
In the week after the half-term break:
- Tuesday 23 February – Perse Musician of the Year strings final
- Wednesday 24 February – vocal performance and masterclass by Tom Walker
- Thursday 25 February – Chamber Music Concert
- Friday 26 February – Perse musicians perform at Impington Music Society
And not forgetting:
- Saturday 27 February – Charity Cabaret