We assess all children who have applied for a place in the academic year prior to entry.
Prep children are usually working at least one year above the national average. Most importantly, we are interested in a child’s potential and general academic curiosity.
We will request a confidential reference from your child’s current school prior to entrance testing. Pupils with special educational needs should discuss their application with us prior to the entrance test.
When are the entrance tests?
A half-day assessment takes place every January for all entry points.
What will be included in the entrance tests?
The entrance tests comprise elements of:
- English – reading, writing, comprehension
- Maths – including an element of mental maths
- Reasoning – verbal and non-verbal
Work content is appropriate for the child’s current year, but we expect children to cope comfortably with this.
Will there be an interview?
We do not have formal interviews, but the Head will have a chat with the children in small groups.
What can I do to prepare my child for the entrance test?
- Attend an open event
- Register for the Year 1 activity morning or the Year 2 taster morning
- Book a personal tour with the Head
- Complete some sample English and maths papers on the website (for Year 3 entry only) Unfortunately, we do not provide sample papers for Year 4, 5 or 6 entry.
- Purchase some useful practice books available from online stores for English, maths and reasoning for your child’s current year group (e.g. CDP, Collins, Letts etc.)
- Engage fully with the work covered at your current school
- Read, read, read!
- Family board games, discussion, developing general interests
When do you contact my child's current school for a reference?
We will request a written reference from your child’s current school in early December. This is not an optional requirement and is sought in accordance with IAPS (Independent Association of Prep Schools) guidelines.
What happens if my child is ill, or self-isolating, on the scheduled entrance test day?
Please contact the Head’s PA at Prep@Perse.co.uk
We are currently living overseas. Can my child be tested at their current school or via the British Council?
Unfortunately, we do not hold overseas testing for this age of child. If you are unable to attend because of travel restrictions, then you should contact the Head’s PA to see whether we can provide a bespoke online option.
If offered a place at the Prep, will my child have an induction day before they arrive in the school?
Children and parents are invited to an induction event before the beginning of the new academic year.